Monday, March 16, 2009

Mommy Memos

When I was younger I was never a "kid lover." You know, one of those people who just LOVES children, loves to babysit, loves to always be playing with kids. Not that I didn't LIKE small children and babies. They were fun to hold and talk to and play with for short spans of time, but not hours! I would read the Babysitters Club series and love the idea of being in a babysitting club, and my next-door-neighbor and I even started a babysitting service and handed out fliers and all. But every time I had a babysitting job I wouldn't look forward to it. I would dread it! I thought that maybe it was because at that point (when I was 12 or 13) I already had a little brother at home that I had to take care of at times. But that wasn't really it. There were people with multiple brothers and sisters I knew that had to help take care of them and LOVED it, AND loved babysitting. So I decided that I just wasn't one of those people who would make a great mother one day. Those people who seem to be BORN to be moms. Like my sister-in-law Monica. She's amazing with kids and always has been (plus she's not boastful about the fact that she's a great mom, which I LOVE and which I think makes her an even greater mom!).

Anyway, before I had Tyler I was genuinely afraid that I would suck as a mom and not really know how to take care of him, or maybe even (GASP!) not enjoy it! But the very second that Tyler was born and placed on my stomach, something inside me clicked. The tears came and I instantly knew that I would be fine and that I would love my time with him. And I have. Not that there aren't moments when I go nuts and feel like screaming. No, there are plenty of those. But I'm so thankful that for me, the "mothering instinct" did actually turn on and didn't stay dormant for the rest of my life. I did finally gain confidence in myself as a mother, though it is definitely challenging and even though I know I will have so much to learn at every stage of my children's lives. I know I'll try and fail and have to try again, but it's something I'm excited about.

I think my favorite blog posts to read are those of friends and family who talk about the new things their children are learning. I've become so fascinated with how children's brains work and how they learn new things. Each child is so different and learns new things at different times than others, but no matter when those new things start, I love hearing about them. I love hearing about the funny things they say and how they interact with siblings or other children, and how the characters of their parents can start showing through them so early!

Recently I read about a book that was written (I don't remember the title) about how parents really don't have any influence over what their child will be like because children are just born with a certain character that can't be changed. That's the biggest load of BULL that I've ever heard! Yes, every kid has a character that is different from others, but every kid is also influenced by their parents or those around them every single day. The act of NOT trying to teach them something because you believe they can't be taught or molded is in itself teaching them something. Something harmful, but it's teaching them something nonetheless.

One of this woman's main points was that it doesn't do a thing to teach a child religion at an early age because they'll just go off and do whatever they want when they get older. This part was utterly laughable and unbelievable to me. Yes, eventually kids grow into adults that make their own decisions, and some don't follow the same things their parents believe. But...really??! Kids that are taught morals, values, and respect and love of God turn out no better than those who were taught NOTHING? Kids who are taught to pray when they're young don't generally keep up the practice and teach their own kids to pray someday? Even if they don't continue in any religion, the values they learned don't help them AT ALL in life? I think it's so sad these kinds of lies are being propogated today. The lie that parents don't have any responsibility for their kids. How awful is that?

The past couple of months Tyler has been starting to fold his arms when we say prayer (only for the first few seconds at the beginning and then maybe somewhere in the middle or towards the end for a few seconds), but this last week I've noticed his understanding grow a little bit. Ty and I were at a baptism on Saturday. During the song he was playing with something and not paying any attention to what was going on (other than to dance for a couple seconds when the music started). The second the song was over he put down what he was playing with and folded his arms. Before anyone had even gotten up to start praying. The same thing in Sacrament meeting. After the song ended ( he was sitting with someone else because I was playing, but I saw him do it) he immediately folded his arms. Even during the sacrament, after having folded his arms the first time after the song ended, he folded his arms again when it was time for the water to be blessed. Such a simple thing, but it melted my heart because it made me really realize how impressionable they are even at such a young age. Lately Tyler is nuts during Sacrament Meeting and it's been really hard for me to get him to stay in one place for longer than a couple of minutes, but he's starting to understand that prayers are special. If he can understand that at 17 months, how many more important things will we be able to teach him in the coming years that will hopefully help him throughout his life? Even when he does ultimately make his own choices.

I'm so thankful for the gift of being a mother. It's so precious. I feel sad for all those who have children that they aren't thankful for. But I'm so thankful for all of YOU who are wonderful examples to me as you raise your children! There are so many out there who haven't been blessed with this gift. If you have children, go hug them, be grateful for them and teach them every good thing you can while you have the chance.

8 comments:

  1. Spoken like a true pregnant mama! I'm referring of course to the surge in sentimentality that I think accompanies being pregnant and already having a child. That is ADORABLE that Tyler folds his arms like that. It reminded me of when Jane first started doing that and how I was like obsessed over it's cuteness. It's fun to think your child is so amazing. I want to hear more about what Tyler is up to, because he is in my favorite stage right now--learning like crazy but before the REAL attitude sets in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I'm not done. I wanted to say that I think you are a great mom and that that is so funny that you were never really into kids growing up. (I can't remember being the biggest fan myself). My problem is that I am still not a big newborn lover! I practically hyperventilate at the thought of caring for one. I hope this one is an amazingly good baby so my outlook can change. And I keep making comments and jokes about the fact that I'm not the biggest fan of newborns but I need to lay off because I'm starting to get a vibe from my friends here that they think I am an evil mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! You're one of the best moms I know! I think it's funny that you say you're getting vibes. It's all in your head! But I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't love children before becoming a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megs, you're a great mom! I've had a great time watching you teach Tyler things. You always seem to know when the time is right to be stern or to let him scream or to make him go to bed. You have amazing motherly instincts. It's a good thing, too. Especially since you're going to have three children to take care of here shortly. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, megan. I read a survey lately in one of those women's magazines that said: "if you could go back and do it again, would you have children?" And do you know that only around 27% of women said "definitely yes?" The others said "yes, but I would have waited longer so I could fulfill my dreams first" and about 16% said "no, I'm just not cut out to be a mother". Sad! Ok I have times when I feel that yeah, I'm not the best mom and it is really hard, but even with all those moments, I'd still do it all again. Anyway, I liked reading your thoughts, it is always refreshing to be reminded about all the good things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sad thing is that too many parents have read that same book...and I teach their children. And, it's scary! Parents (as you are a great example) need to be parents and not friends to their children. Can I borrow that book to thrown at parents?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was beautitul! Maybe it's because I'm pregnant, but I could not help shedding some tears! For the record, I think you are an amazing mother! You are so involved with everything Tyler does. You love every moment...which I think it a true mark of a great woman. It's easy to make it to the end of something and say, that wasn't too bad. It's completely different to love the journey! And I definitely think you love the journey! I love reading your soap boxes!! Often I want to get on my soap box but for some reason, I feel insecure when I go to post them. I am going to take a lesson from you and just start posting whats in my heart! And thanks for the compliment! It really made me cry! (In a good way!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME post! All I can say is AMEN! I completely agree and can tell even just through the blog that you are a fantastic mom! It comes with all kinds of challenges, but also so much JOY!

    ReplyDelete