Monday, January 11, 2010

Fire-Starting Soup


In the past two months I have really gotten into cooking. I love finding great recipes to try. The place I go most frequently is Rachael Ray's website. I think we have loved just about every recipe of hers that I've used. One of those was this recipe for chicken noodle soup:

http://rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=2728

Try it. It's amazing. And don't ignore the spices! I used to think that the spices were no big deal and that if I didn't use them, it would turn out the same. HELLO! They are what makes all the difference. I decided to use fresh herbs in this recipe and it turned out amazing...despite the fact that I almost started a fire in the house.

I didn't realize that I had spilled some oil inside one of the burners at some point that week until I was making this soup and the smoke detectors started going off. It just looked like regular steam and I didn't see any black smoke, so I didn't understand what was going on. But as Grandma and I fanned the smoke detector and opened all the doors and windows, I glanced back in the kitchen and saw flames shooting up out of the burner around the pot. Grandma got it out fast, but the smoke detectors kept going off. Both of my kids were taking naps so I ran downstairs, expecting to hear screaming. But no, they were still sound asleep and stayed asleep for another hour. How is it possible that running water from the bathroom can wake them up during the night, but ear-splitting sirens right above their heads do nothing? Seriously?

So, try the recipe, but make sure you haven't spilled any oil in your burners beforehand, k? :)

2 comments:

  1. I really just can't wrap my mind around the fact that you started getting into cooking around the same time your baby was born. That has never been a "get into cooking" time for me. Your awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have reaped the rewards of this new talent my Megan is cultivating, and it is awesome! And the chicken noodle soup really was one of the best I've ever had. Mmm, mmm, good!

    ReplyDelete