Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Life is Beautiful...and Exhausting

It is soooo wonderful not to be pregnant anymore! Also wonderful is the fact that my recovery this time has been so much easier than last! But before I go into the whole story I really need to say thank you to my AMAZING husband. Unfortunately, he did not marry a Super Mom. He married a Holy-Crap-I-Don't-Know-What-I'm-Doing Mom. Ryan has been a lifesaver in every way! He had a week off after Gaby was born and he spent the week mostly trying to give Tyler as much attention as possible. But he also never stopped asking what he could do for me and how he could help with Gaby. He even took her to the doctor by himself when she needed to get her bilirubin level checked a couple of days after we came home. He helps with her when she wakes up during the night, he changes diapers, he does laundry, and he is so cute with both of his kids. So, despite my lack of "Super Mom-ness" I am well aware that I married a Super Husband/Dad and I am so grateful for everything he does for us! I love you Ry!



So for anyone who is interested in the labor story, here's how it went:

9:00 am - arrive at hospital
9:30 - check into room
9:35 - am asked to pee in a cup and for the first time in 9 months, am unable to pee.
11:00 - hooked up to Pitocin, mild contractions, am still smiling
1:30 - doctor arrives, breaks my water
1:40 - contractions getting much stronger, am no longer smiling
2:00 - anesthesiologist enters and I immediately become terrified because it is very obvious that he is the "all-business, no talk" sort of doctor
2:20 - anesthesiologist leaves after having successfully STABBED me in the back and SHOVED a tube into my spine, not even asking if I was ok after I burst into tears
3:00 - my legs are completely asleep but I can still feel the contractions
3:30 - turn down the nurse's offer to call the anesthesiologist
4:40 - doctor returns and it's time to push
4:56 - Gaby is born!

Things are good, but I'm still not sure how to carry on with normal life with two kids. Unlike another amazing person I know who came to get Ty the other day and carted him around along with her own three boys as if it was no big deal (thank you AGAIN!), I HAVE NO IDEA how to take multiple children to a grocery store or anywhere out of the house. Maybe I'll figure it out sometime in the next year or so. For now we're just trying to survive through these sleepless first weeks and I guess the rest will come.




10 comments:

  1. Cute pictures. I can't begin imagine what it's like to have two kids, but I'm sure you'll do great! Can't wait to see more pictures of your cute kids. Lots of love to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Gaby is getting bigger already. I will have to come visit soon.

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out those cheek's! she is such a doll! two does get better in a few months good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaby is just the cutest little girl!! I love her little cheeks! Going from one to two is a big difference. I think I've already told you, but it was definitely harder for me than going from two to three. I also don't think you give yourself enough credit!! You are a wonderful mother and your beautiful kids are so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my heavens I want to pinch her cheeks! how do you not just kiss them all day long?!? ADORABLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan- you're about as close to Super-Mom as they come. Your family is beautiful and I can't WAIT for Gaby and Liam to be friends. Speaking of...where is my little boy? I think he's become WAY too comfortable in my belly...he's due on Saturday, and as far as I can tell, he has no plans of making the date. (Although I am 2 cm dilated and 60% effaced...) We'll keep you updated!

    We love you guys!
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan, Yes, those are some serious cheeks! Adorable. Sounds like a good 9-5 labor story. Compare that to all your typical work days you've ever had! What a cute little baby you got out of it! So, as for the taking both children out of the house, good luck. I had nightmares about that for weeks after our baby was born. Oh well, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. You have a beautiful family of four! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats again! She is a beauty! Glad everything went well! Two really does get easier - I promise! You'll adjust and Tyler will get older and do more and more for himself! I remember those first few weeks, but it won't be long before it is just the norm! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats you guys! I can't believe those cheeks! I'm just a little jealous - hope I can make it 2 more weeks and that my labor goes as smoothly!

    ReplyDelete